Saturday, August 7, 2010

Memories/Audition

The other day, a good friend of mine asked if I was part of any community choirs, and I thought..."No...but why not?" So, we have been discussing community choirs and which one we should join and auditions,and such. I am so excited! I miss singing with a group of people everyday...(even though this will only be once a week).

So, this morning, feeling a little skittish and excited, I rummaged through all my music and tried to find a song that would fit my voice. I have to admit...I haven't been singing as much as I did in college...I really haven't had much motivation to sing since I am no longer taking classes and stuff. I mean...I sing stupid stuff like, "Ring around the Rosie", and the "ABC's" to the kid I nanny but that doesn't count. I did sing a little more last week because I had to practice a song for my husband's grandfather's funeral...but now that's over. So...my voice isn't as strong as it used to be and I am of course mad at myself for not keeping it up. I am really excited to sing in a choir again so I have more reason to sing in the shower...Singing the same songs I sang at my senior recital gets boring after awhile.

Back to the audition...I found an old song that I sang for a NATS competition and won first place in that I LOVE...so I am thinking about possibly singing that one or a shorter song from my senior recital that I am sort of sick of but sounds good.

The one I sang for my NATS competition is called, "Deh, per questo istante solo" and it is by my favorite composer in the world...Mozart! I think this may have been the song that first made me fall in love with him. I LOVE this song because it can show off your range, the piano accompaniment is beautiful,the tempo changes so it never feels boring, and it has a lot of emotion in it. Take a look yourself!


I would love to see this Opera some day. It's from "La Clemenza di Tito" Here is the translation...

If only for this moment,
Remember our former friendship,
What makes me die of sorrow
Is your scorn, your severity.
It is true that I am unworthy of pity
And can only inspire horror;
Yet you would be less harsh
If you could see into this heart.
I go toward death in despair,
But dying does not frighten me;
The thought that torments me
Is having been a traitor to you.
A heart suffers so much sorrow
That it dies from its pain.

This Opera has a lot of drama and love involved...If you want to know more about the synopsis Wikipedia had a pretty good one. The song is basically about a man who betrays his friend Titus, in hopes to overthrow him as Emperor.

The other song I was thinking about singing for my audition is, "Miene liebe ist grun" Its a really short song so that might be better for time, but I might just shorten the other song because I like it better.

So yeah...I am pretty excited to be able to meet new people and sing again! It makes me want to practice, however...I need to write a talk for church now because I have procrastinated long enough. It should only be five minutes, but I need to get that done before I do anything else.

No comments: